Sunday, October 11, 2009

DON'T DO IT!

Saturday I had a 12-hour shift at the Ogden Clinic which was VERY busy. Somehow in the midst of the seeing patients a million patients I was able to listen and obey the prompting of the Holy Ghost. Here is how it happened:

It's the flu season and everyone who thinks may possibly remotely maybe have H1N1 will come and be evaluated by the provider so they can ask for Tamiflu (which, BTW, does not work for H1N1).

I got a phone call from a man who said that the previous day his son was seen by Dr. So-and-So and was diagnosed with the dreaded H-worded virus. Supposedly, the Dr. told this man that if anyone else in his family developed any of the symptoms, then all he needed to do is call the clinic and we would give whoever needed Tamiflu. I took the patient's word for it and said I would call the prescription to a nearby pharmacy, but not before I checked the information on the drug to make sure I called the appropriate dosage. Right then I had the distinct feeling that I shouldn't call the prescription for the patient because she could be pregnant (which I had not asked the husband about).

Long story short, I called the previously mentioned man and told him that his wife would have to be seen by one of our providers before she could get any prescriptions. I happened to be the one who checked her in and the first thing the wife told me when we entered the exam room was that she was pregnant.

It felt really good to listen to such a brief - and yet important - prompting from the Holy Ghost. I don't know what I would have done, other than be fired and lose my credentials, if something happened to that unborn child because of my lack of attention.

4 comments:

Hernan+ said...

Wow dude...

REGS said...

Awesome! Good Job!

Fe said...

Good job! Always follow the Spirit and always... I mean NEVER take people's word for anything, specially if it is important. It's not that we shouldn't trust people, but it is often our responsibility to make sure we know the facts ourselves.

Dawn said...

Way to go! Its nice knowing that our ability to help people is exemplified by the Holy Ghost.