Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Waiting Vs. Procrastination

I know it has been a LONG time since I shared my thoughts and impressions on things, but the wait is over, loyal readers...at least for now...

As Dr. Green's assistant, it is my pleasure to keep track of all the supplies we need to keep our clinic running smooth. The great majority of things I buy come from catalogs from different companies that compete for our business, but one such company had a sales rep who went out of his way to earn our business, and (who can blame him) earn some commission. Unfortunately for this pleasant gentleman, every time he came around the office we didn't have anything to order from him. He was constant though, always hoping we would have something for him. He had to be my favorite salesman. Pleasant but never pushy. Then the blessed day finally came. Dr. Green asked me to purchase some medications from the very company my favorite salesman hailed from. I called his cell phone from the business card he gave me on our first visit, and my heart was broken when he told me he was no longer worked for that company.

Why, do you ask, did such feelings came over me? In my mind, my friend depended on our business to sustain his family and we let him down. Is that what happened? I don't know, but I could have ordered things from him sooner.

2 comments:

Fe said...

That's really tough. Ruth and I love shopping at little local businesses because we feel like we can help them stay in business (or at least be supportive), and we feel bad when they go out of business. As a huge geek I also feel good helping small businesses like, say, your friendly neighborhood comic shop, since they are normally run by simple people who really like what they do. Hopefully your favorite salesperson moved on to something else he enjoys and it was no big loss for him.

Marcio said...

There's also always the chance that he's working somewhere else, making a metric ton of moneys....