Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Cost of Discipleship

My readings this week took me to the book of Luke, chapters 10-14, and one of the main things that caught my attention was drawn to two things: one was the principle of action and the other was the what it costs us when we decide to follow Jesus. My focus is on that so very sacred price we pay when we decide to do what is right.

As I read those chapters, I marked on my scriptures 10 different requirements of a disciple. and I will share them here


  1. Reverence to Heavenly Father
  2. Be willing to do whatever is asked of us by the Lord or His servants
  3. Repent of our sins
  4. Have no unrepentant sins
  5. Be happy with the blessings we have been blessed with
  6. Have faith in God
  7. Put the kingdom of God first
  8. Be diligent in the work of salvation (for ourselves and others)
  9. Be willing to sacrifice everything we have and be ready to do hard things
  10. (similar to number 7) Put God first
This is by no means a comprehensive list, and as we continue to study the scriptures with more purpose and with the Holy Ghost, more qualifications can certainly be found, but I feel very strongly that these qualifications will help us to gain that most precious gift that has been promised to those who faithfully overcome all things.

Out of this partial list, I feel that I need to personally work more on being more diligent and putting the kingdom first. As a busy full-time student, I know that I sometimes fall short of putting my priorities correctly and what seems important at the moment takes precedence over things that are important in the long run of things. I have tried recently to be more available to my sons and to teach them through word and example those things I know will make them happy, even if sometimes school takes a back seat and homework and studying for a difficult nursing test fall by the way side. But I know that as I put His gospel first, then the difference is made up and I am still able to be successful in school.

No comments: