Monday, January 20, 2014

Actions > Words

The old saying goes that an action is worth more than 1,000 words, and that is even more true when we think about the gospel and how we are all to be missionaries. During my reading of the New Testament this week, it was apparent that Paul was also concerned with not only being a good example, but also that the people were good examples to others.

Speaking of being a good example, Paul was the first to show the power of actions over words (1 Thessalonians 1:1-6; 2:1-13; 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12; 3:7-9):

  1. It was not easy then and today it is still not easy to preach the gospel. Paul faced opposition from nonbelievers as well as possibly his own shortcomings and the temptations of the devil, but nevertheless, he preached the gospel "in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost". In like manner the people received the gospel in the same way.
  2. Paul never used flattering words or tried to be dishonest with the people.
  3. The gospel is a gospel of love, and Paul gave the people not only the gospel, but also his love for them, which allowed them to feel through him, the love that Heavenly Father has for all His children.
  4. Paul always prayed for the people he taught, as we should all do for those we have stewardship over.
  5. Paul always worked hard.
As I think more about this, I also believe that all of us as missionaries, should follow the example of Paul, and the five things listed above will help us be successful. Heavenly Father inspired Paul to be the man that we read about, and I know that following his example will help us to have inspiration from the Holy Ghost so that we can ultimately become successful in bringing souls the Lord. In case somebody doubts the validity of following those specific examples from Paul, try to think about what would happen to a missionary who does the opposite of the things listed above. That missionary will never be successful in preaching the gospel.

As a parent, I feel that the same principles apply in helping me and my wife be the parents that our children need us to be so they can have strong testimonies of the gospel. The word love comes to mind as I think about how I can apply Paul's example in raising my children, and I know that as I love them sincerely, those things that Paul taught through his example will come naturally and the Holy Ghost will abide in our home so that teaching becomes more effective.

As a challenge to myself, I will work harder to ensure that I am not only a good example to my children, but that I will follow Paul's example of love, sincerity, and hard work for my children.

No comments: